Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nonconformist natsume


My friends ask me, if I would be open to creating some natsume, tea caddy used during Japanese tea ceremony. Those are traditionally made of wood and I was not sure if to go this way. There are a reasons why they do them from wood. Finally I said yes, knowing that it will be quite challenging. From technical as well as from aesthetical point of view. As an inspiration, I received this plastic, cheap thing ...


...but I knew: My natsume will be nothing of the sort.

Although I like sipping matcha I do not prepare it myself much. Time to time, I am happy guest of more or less formal tea sessions, where some of my chanoyu practise friend is the host. I always enjoy all that rustling of silk, singing kettle and whisked green nectar. And when working on these first natsume's, I was thinking about all those craftsman who have worked on such pieces during past centuries. How their tea taste like?










Thank you for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous !!!
    Just love the first one (not the red one, the one below :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning! Petr you're truly a master potter! I love your work! I'm now dreaming of a Petr Novak chawan and natsume. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some very impressive work! I too especially love the first one, but the third one isn't bad either. Thank you for sharing those stunning pieces with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thumbs up! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a precious gem...liken to a globe you hold in your hand. You did it when you taught naught!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Beautiful! If I had known you'd make a natsume, I would have requested one for my wedding. :-) By the way, the stove and bowl worked perfectly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete